Matthew 22:41-42: “While the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them, saying, ‘What do you think about the Christ? Whose Son is He?’ They said to Him, ‘The Son of David.’“
Opinions are important. They have a bearing upon most of us. An opinion is defined as being a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a specific matter. Presidential candidates rise and fall on the opinions of people. Corporations have been built and destroyed by the opinions of people. Fashion and style are determined by opinions. Blockbuster movies and hit songs are determined by opinions. Opinions determine our choices in life. Opinions are formed through various processes. First impressions, character studies, and a sorting of information all combine to help form our opinions.
We have opinions concerning our favorite people, places, cars, food, clothes, music, and many other things. The most important opinion you will ever form, however, is the opinion you form about Jesus. What do you think about Christ? What a question to ponder! He stands on trial today as He stood 2,000 years ago, and we must ask what was asked of so many before … What do you think about Christ? Ask some character witnesses from the past to the present and see if they can help you determine your opinion of Christ:
- The Heavenly Father—John 1:1, Colossians 1:17, and Matthew 3:17: “The Word was God;” “In Him all things consist;” and “My Beloved Son in whom I am well pleased.”
- The Angels—Luke 2:11: “A Savior, who is Christ the Lord.”
- John the Baptist—John 1:29: “The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!”
- The Scribes and Pharisees—Matthew 7:29: “Taught them as one having authority.”
- Simon Peter—Matthew 16:16: “The Christ, the Son of the living God.”
- Judas Iscariot—Matthew 27:4: “I have sinned by betraying innocent blood.”
- Pilate—Luke 23:14: “I have found no fault in this Man.”
- The Centurion—Matthew 27:54: “Truly this was the Son of God!”
- Thomas—John 20:28: “My Lord and my God!”
- John the Beloved—Revelation 19:16: “KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.”
- Paul—Philippians 3:10: “That I may know Him and the power of His resurrection.”
- The man born blind—John 9:25: “One thing I know: that though I was blind, now I see.”
- The one leper—Luke 17:12-16: “When he saw that he was healed, returned, and with a loud voice glorified God.”
What about you? What do you think about Christ? Is He your Savior? Have you accepted the Son of God into your heart?
What you think about Christ will make all the difference in eternity!